Friday, August 7, 2015

Fluff Friday 8/7/2015 Diaper pail

I am so sorry this has been a crazy summer for our family and after I thought everything would calm down following our vacation everything went haywire. After returning home from Disneyland my grandmother has been in and out of the hospital for two strokes and was diagnosed with lung cancer. With that being said I have not been home much until this week. Everything is falling into a schedule and I will be able to return to the blog and not have to take another prolonged break hopefully!

This week we are going to talk about diaper pals and storing diapers after they have been used before laundry day! This is after you have removed any solid waste from the diaper.

First lets talk about a method that I don't personally use and don't recommend this method for multiple reasons but we will talk about that in a minute. A Wet pail some people use for diapers that have been pooped in only while others use it for all diapers. This method is basically storing soiled diapers in  water until laundry day. Sometimes people will put additional things into the water such as baking soda, white vinegar, essential oils, a small amount of laundry detergent among other things. Laundry soap and bleach are not recommended because they can break down your diapers. Some people think this method of diaper pail has less smell then a dry pail. I personally do not like this method as I find it to be not the most sanitary method as well as I have a fear of mold and mildew on my diapers.

I prefer the dry pail method you can use a readily available diaper pail that you put your own bag in or buy a cheap kitchen trashcan or buy hanging wet bags (see below for pictures of all three options). I did the second. With either of these options you will need to buy a pail liner (picture below) to contain the dirty diaper. Basically with this method for urine diaper you remove the diaper then place it in the diaper pail of your choosing.  A diaper with solid waste diapers you will remove as much of the solid waste as you can (click here for how to do that) and then place it in the diaper pail. There are so many options to fit every budget when it comes to diaper pails.

I personally use strictly a dry pail while others use a combination of wet and dry pails. Keep in mind the diapers are only being stored like this for no more then 4 days between laundry days. If you have any questions please comment and I will answer!

Pail liner image found here
Funky Fluff hanging pail/wetbag
Ubbi diaper pail
kitchen trash can with pail liner
photo found here


Next week we will be exploring the many options for storing clean diapers. 

2 comments:

  1. I also use a dry pail. I highly recommend allaboutcloth.com for National brand diaper pail wet bags! They're handmade by a WAHM who is a member of the RDA, RDIA and the WAHM Alliance. You have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely have to check them out. I will need another pail liner soon!

      Delete