Friday, May 22, 2015

Fluff Friday 5/22 The Waste

Well it is week two of Fluff Friday. I find the thought of writing this post every week so exciting. I really want this to be a place for beginner information about cloth diapers that is informational but not over stuffed with information, because cloth diapering can be scary and the research that goes into it can be even more overwhelming.

When I was trying to decide what I should write about this week I thought that since is the first week I am really writing something in depth it should probably be about the thing that scared me most about cloth diapers. For me the most scary thing was the poop. Since I have not written my product review for the week I am going to combined the two posts into one. Lets get down to business.

There are multiple ways to handle poop in cloth diapers. You can plop, use liners, scrape, spray, or dunk and swish. For me my preferred methods are plop and spray, but we will talk about those at the end. I want to touch on the other methods before I go into detail with what I use and do.

Liners- I linked to my favorite diaper brands, but I don't use them. But I hear they are great.
Liners are something you place inside of your cloth diapers to make clean up much easier they are flushable but many people don't risk it and just toss them but it makes clean up is effortless. Also these are great if you have a diaper rash and are not using a cloth safe cream because it protects your diapers from all the bad things in the cream.

Scrape
I did this in a way when we first started cloth when we would occasionally have a sticky poop. I would use a flushable wipe to get as much poop as could off. Some people use a kitchen utensil (spatula or plastic spoon) they have specifically for this purpose, but I find that a bit gross. To each their own though; what is right for one person is not what right for everyone.

Dunk and Swish
Basically with this method you hold the corner of the diaper that is not completely soiled then dunk the rest into the toilet. Then you swish it around and hope the water helps release the poop. Apparently from what I heave read flushing helps but don't let go of the diaper because that would be very bad! I personally don't use this method I can't put something in the toilet and still touch it even if it is already covered in poop.

Plop
This method is really only suitable for children that are eating mostly solids and are having relatively solid poops. Basically you take the dirty diaper to the toilet flip it upside down and the poop just falls off into the toilet. Sometimes I have to jiggle it a little bit to get it to release everything. This is the method we use most in our house, but for the occasional sticky poop we spray.

Spray- I linked the Amazon search results
We only use this every once in a while for poo; typically about twice a week. Lately we have been using it more because I think he is teething again so as we all know those poops are a little crazy and super sticky. This works great and gets everything off super easily, but if you don't have some kind of shield it can be crazy. I don't have a shield at this point maybe eventually, but I have heard great things about the spray pal.
The one above is the one I purchased it is called First Lil Diaper Sprayer I paid $26.99 on Amazon through prime so I had it two days later. I liked that it came with everything I needed, because many of the ones I looked at did not come with the valve and most of them cost more then this one. It is very sturdy and does not feel cheap and flimsy like I though it would considering it cost half as much as many of the others. It was also extremely easy to install. It took me maybe five minutes and it works perfectly. I do only use it twice a week to spray poop, but I use it anytime we cloth diaper at night to spray my sons night time diapers to rinse them before I put them in the diaper pail. I rinse his night diapers in the morning because they have a strong smell and it helps to prevent ammonia build up in the diapers. I highly recommend a diaper sprayer even if you don't think you need one, because you will defiantly use it. I went the first month with out one, but life has definitely gotten much easier now that I have a sprayer. I truly love this diaper sprayer it is easy to use and install it also has a lot of power. I will say if you don't have spray shield of some kind be careful to keep the sprayer on the diaper otherwise you will be getting wet. 

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog all of you readers mean so much to me. 

I did not receive any compensation of any kind in exchange for this review. 







No comments:

Post a Comment